Tuesday, December 21, 2010

First Snow of the Season

Yesterday was our first measurable snow of the season in the Boston area.  A light steady snow all afternoon made for some slick roads that caught pedestrians and drivers by surprise.  My office building is on a hill; there's a one-floor difference between the entrance on one street and the main entrance on the side street.  That steep slope troubled a number of drivers who could not stop at the bottom of the hill and a few parked cars were hit.  Luckily, no pedestrians were hit. 

But it was refreshing to brush the snow off my van and drive home in a white haze of new snow.  It suddenly made the coming Christmas holiday more real to me.  I always want a white Christmas; the snow on the trees and bushes is so beautiful under the night lights. 

The realist in me knows that soon the white stuff will get dirty and ugly.  But the first snow of the season brings on a nostalgia that I relish and lifts my spirits.

Enjoy, be safe, drive carefully, and let it snow!

2 comments:

  1. Let it snow, let it snow. Our Christmas wish is to have a clean, white snowy Christmas. In early January it can melt and temp can return to 40s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! I don't think we'll have any snow tomorrow (Christmas), but I expect some on Sunday. I just hope everyone drives safely and sanely.

    ReplyDelete